Monday, October 22, 2018

The Honey Do List October 2018

This marks the third year that my husband Eric has been giving me a design challenge each month to get me out of my comfort zone and to help clear out my bead stash... it's the Honey Do List 2018!  I know that I'm not the only one who loves a good design challenge, so I'm hoping folks will continue to play along with us!  

Here's this month's inspiration and what Eric had to say about it:


With it being Halloween month I figured I'd go with something a little creepy!  This was from the Hops Astronomical Clock in the hop growing town of Zatec in the Czech republic.  This one is rife with symbolism for you to take inspiration from!

There is certainly no lack of inspiration this month!  What Eric didn't tell you was that this clock actually moves and does different things at each hour.  I so want to know what the skeleton does when it's his turn but I couldn't find video to show it!

For my first design, I focused on the clock aspect of the photo.  I snagged a large scale porcelain clock pendant from Round Rabbit in a de-stash a while back and, despite the completely different color scheme, this seemed like the perfect time to pull it out!  It's tough to tell in this photo, but the front side of the pendant does have a shine to the glaze... the back side is the same colors but matte.


The orange in the pendant was a tough color to work with... everything was either too orange or too yellow.  I ended up choosing some Czech glass in a darker, pumkin-y orange as well as some cream colored melon beads with a Mercury glass finish that read as a very pale yellow for the bulk of the necklace.  I added in some yellow jade coins and a teardrop to round things out.  I used a nice gold color leather cord that I just bought (along with a ton of other colors and sizes!) for the back of the necklace design.  It's a long necklace with no clasp... I made a lark's head knot on one side and wire wrapped the ends of the leather on the other side.


Next up, I continued the clock theme to some extent, but focused a bit more on the coloring of the hops clock.  I started with a brass circle blank and embossed it with some gear motifs that I then painted in shades of blue to echo the clock face in the photo.  I honestly don't remember why I originally bought some brass clock hand blanks, but they finally came in handy this month (now what to do with the others in the package, but I digress.)  I textured the clock hands with my ball been hammer and added some gold metallic paint before riveting the pieces together.  I wrapped a filigree piece around the pendant to give it some weight and then turned to the rest of the necklace.


I used a selection of Czech glass beads in shades of blue and gold as well as some plated druzy rondelles in a gold color to make the necklace links.  I picked a clasped that mirrored the gear shape on the pendant to finish things off.  I'm pretty happy with how my idea came together for this one!


I thought that I might be done after the two necklaces, but I surprised myself and whipped up a pair of earrings too!  I was digging through one of my messy storage cupboards (hopefully soon to be wrangled into my new, antique dental cabinet) and re-discovered the little set of Bob Burkett skull beads that I got from one of Andrew Thornton's destash events.  I paired them with some gold and blue fancy cocoons from Anna Pierson of Saga Hus.  This is a pair I'm planning to keep for myself!  I'll be wearing them later this week to the Twin Cities Horror Festival.






get the InLinkz code

4 comments:

  1. You really took the inspiration from Eric and ran with it. It was the clock that started my designing too, but your necklace was much more successful than mine for sure! I love the beads you used in the chain as well as the addition of the leather. It looks perfect for Fall! And, your alteration of that blank into a clock is perfection!! Those earrings would definitely be hard to part with. The fabric of the cocoon softens the skulls just a touch, they'll be perfect for your trip to the Horror Festival. Thanks once again for the inspiration! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pieces! I especially love the second necklace... that embossed blank is just perfect! Although, truth be told, I really like everything you made--what wonderful interpretations of the photo! I love seeing what you make for these challenges, and hope that I get to play along next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made skull earrings too but I like your version better as its way more kitschy. I would love to see the video of the clock working for its such a cool clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a video of the Zatec clock "in action" https://youtu.be/uFuBrUJH8fs :) Even though I'm not a skull fan, I like those earrings! Both necklaces are beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete