Friday, January 18, 2019

We're All Ears: January 2019: Color of the Year

The January prompt for the We're All Ears Challenge over on the Earrings Everyday blog is always a celebration of Pantone's Color of the Year.  For 2019, that means Living Coral!!


Here's what the fine folks at Pantone have to say about their choice:

Vibrant, yet mellow PANTONE 16-1546 Living Coral embraces us with warmth and nourishment to provide comfort and buoyancy in our continually shifting environment.
In reaction to the onslaught of digital technology and social media increasingly embedding into daily life, we are seeking authentic and immersive experiences that enable connection and intimacy. Sociable and spirited, the engaging nature of PANTONE 16-1546 Living Coral welcomes and encourages lighthearted activity. Symbolizing our innate need for optimism and joyful pursuits, PANTONE 16-1546 Living Coral embodies our desire for playful expression.
Representing the fusion of modern life, PANTONE Living Coral is a nurturing color that appears in our natural surroundings and at the same time, displays a lively presence within social media.

As has been the case for most of the years since I've started paying attention to such things, Pantone's choice for Color of the Year has not exactly knocked my socks off!  The peachy-pink of Living Coral is not a color that I'm likely to gravitate too, especially as a main color.  I like it far better as a small accent with other colors, especially blues.  That leads me to the added irony that the color palettes that I ended up using were the ones without blues and greens!  




I'm not 100% sure which of the above palettes fit my designs best, Shimmering Sunset or Sympatico.  Maybe the truth is that they are a bit of a mix of the two.  But anyways... onto the earrings!!  


First up, a jazzy pair with tons of movement!  I wanted to break out of my normal design rut when it comes to earring charms... instead of just doing a stack of beads wire-wrapped above the charm, I wanted something a bit more interesting and out of my comfort zone.  The charms are by Heather Powers of Humblebeads and have some of the more orange tones in addition to the coral.  I used some fun flame colored copper rings and attached seed bead decorated jump rings, groups of coral colored Swarovski pearls, and of course the charms!  These are definitely statement earrings!!



My second pair of earrings is more of my normal style.  I had the perfect little cocoon beads from my friend Anna Pierson of Saga Hus in pale yellow with touches of a coral pattern.  They are on copper wire, so that was fortunate too.  I made some dainty dangles in peachy crystal and more of those coral Swarovski pearls on copper headpins.

This may be the extent of my embrace of the 2019 Color of the Year, lol.  I'm excited to hop on over to the Earrings Everyday blog HERE to see what everyone else was inspired to create!


8 comments:

  1. I wanted to do those two palettes. Even had the components all laid out. But I broke one adding a hole (truthfully, I did to all of the ones that I bought, pretty brightly colored PC wing shapes! So sad!) And then it was after 1am at that point. Had to cut those for another time. I also really wanted to add yellow but my hue was just too much. These are both perfect. Thanks for playing along. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made coral look inviting and elegant which is a tough job. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Heather's charms. They look wonderful in the earrings that you designed. Your cocoon beads are perfect for this challenge. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both pairs are just beautiful. I could wear these any time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeousness! Your earrings fit the challenge well, and are also designs that could easily be worn with so many other colors, for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so right, your two pairs are somehow a combo of those two palettes. You should call them Sunset Simpatico 1 and 2. Ha! They're both really pretty, and definitely make you want to like Living Color more. How great that you had these components in your stash and were able to pull them together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both pairs. They have just the right amount of coral too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty pairs both! It's neat that the challenge inspired you to try something different - that first pair turned out just lovely. I like how you've used the cocoon beads as well, I think these are never-go-out-of-style earrings.

    ReplyDelete