Thursday, July 21, 2016

Luna Moth Challenge Reveal


I haven't gotten in on too many of the Allegory Gallery design challenges since Andrew started them back up, but when I saw the Luna Moth kit I had to pounce!  Here are some of the goodies from the kit... not including the mystery component.


I didn't leave myself nearly as much time to create as I meant to/should have, so this week has been a bit of a scramble to take better stock of the kit's contents (so many goodies hidden in the luxury bead blend!) and pull some creations together.

Per my usual leanings, the first things that gelled for me were some earrings.  Two of them used the wooden beads and a mix of elements from the kit and my own stash.  The white pearls in the pair on the right remind me of little cocoons!  I also grabbed some of the smallest pearls from the blend and made a little dangle for the bottoms of some divine Czech glass rectangles that I picked up at Allegory Gallery during Creative Camp last weekend.  (You can read about my exploits at Camp HERE.)


The next things that I pulled together was a necklace using one of the moths we made in Heather Powers' Luna Moth Metal Sketch class at Creative Camp.  (Full disclosure: this is one of the ones that Eric made!  Didn't he do a great job?)  To add some visual weight and physical weight to the pendant, I chose a gemstone from the kit (new jade?) and wire wrapped it with a lovely green Swarovski pearl and some copper plated components.  Once again, I mixed beads from the kit with some from my own stash using a combination of brass and copper findings.


I'm kind of terrible about hoarding the mystery components from Andrew's kits because I want them for myself!  This time I was determined to actually use the gorgeous luna moth pendant that Andrew made for us... as you can see, I didn't quite get finished but I wanted to share the general direction I'm headed in anyways.  I don't often work with gold tones but he green and gold sheen of the pendant cried out for it so I went for a gold plated jump ring.  Eventually the necklace will have a gold plated twig clasp too.  I've used a ton of beads from the kit this time and added in some great pearls I found on our trip to Portland.  I'll be sure to share the completed design as soon as I get it finished!


I still have tons of great stuff left over from this kit and more ideas rolling around my head than I had time to make.  Maybe sometime soon I will do a follow up blog post with creations pulled together from all of the various design challenge kits I have.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, your necklaces are beautiful in addition to the earrings. I love the moth Eric made; that whole necklace is just perfect. Your piece with the mystery component is going to be beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Ann! I just finished the mystery component necklace and I'm hoping to get a decent picture of it tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. These are some of my favorite pieces of your creations! Love the soft greens and metals...and the luna moth pendant you made in Heather's class is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynda! Full disclosure, my husband made the copper moth here. I still need to make some minor tweaks to the ones I made before they are ready for prime time!

      Delete
  3. Wow I feel like I really missed out! What a cool challenge and what great elements to work with! If you don't mind telling what is that bead above the first moth? Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure what the stone is since it came from the Luna Moth kit, but I'm guessing jade or "new" jade. Andrew probably knows. :)

      Delete