Friday, February 19, 2016

We're All Ears: February 2016

I'm intrigued by the inspiration that Erin Prais-Hintz chose for this month's We're All Ears challenge.  She picked a gilded copper alloy statue of a standing Buddha from the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  You can see more great pictures and read more about him over on the Earrings Everyday blog HERE.  It's hard to tell from this picture, but if you go to the link in the picture's caption you can play with a cool zoom feature and see the flowers on his palm.  Even though I know it's supposed to be a flame on top of Buddha's head, I think it has a flower-like quality too.

http://metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/75414
NOTE: This artwork is to be used for educational purposes only.
Those of you who have been following my blog have probably noticed that I don't really design much with gold.  Antiqued brass, yes... gold, not so much.  I think you can see why I needed to push outside my metal comfort zone for this one!

I didn't have much in my stash that was speaking to me, but I did a quick search as I was finishing up my order over at Lima Beads and they had just the things I needed!  I snagged some teeny gold plated lotus blossom charms by Nunn Design as well as some lotus flower shaped decorative earwires (those are sterling, but I had to have them!).  Here's what I came up with:


My first pair is the most true to the inspiration since I worked in gold tones.  I paired the little lotus blossom charms with some bronzed amethyst crullers, gold plated beads, and some plated hematite rondelles (I used those little guys all the time... I wish I had bought more than one strand!).


The lotus shaped ear wires were far more dainty than I had anticipated when I ordered them, throwing me temporarily for a loop.  Even beads that I normally think are on the small side for earrings would seem way out of proportion to the delicate size of the ear wires!  Finally I found a few tiny faceted labradorite rondelles that were small and sparkly enough to work.  I honestly don't think I've ever made a pair of earrings this small before and they were a bear to photograph!  I really needed a macro lens this time.

Be sure to pop on over to the Earrings Everyday blog HERE to see what everyone else was inspired to make this month!

8 comments:

  1. I love the different looks you achieved with the same lotus flower design! I think those charms are perfect. And I find that I don't do dainty either. In fact, those earrings with the waves are quite long (I like that!) so they will likely stay in my stash. Thanks for playing along with me on the Earrings Everyday challenge. I wonder what the next challenge will be? You will have to come back on March 4th to find out! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thought the flame was a lotus flower too. The purple and gold tones go really well together on your first pair but unlike Erin I love small and dainty earrings especially if they have a bit of swing, so of course I love your second pair. Those ear wires are really cute!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lotus ear wires. They might be perfect some of my yoga collection of jewelry. I think you did a great job capturing the inspiration piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I remember ordering similar earwires in 2014 and wondering what to put on them as they are so dainty. I love the colors used in the first earring, they just sing to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now you know you can meet the challenge of extra tiny, lol. Love the first pair best, Sparkly and long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the lotus flower concept. It is a symbol of Buddhism, one of the most important in the faith, and I think fits perfectly with this theme.
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also see the stylized flame as more of a flower. And that's what inspiration is all about: what you see. Your earrings are delicate and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both these pairs of earrings, but I have to say those tiny ones are so extra beautiful! Just so dainty and perfect! I always fall in love with tiny gemstones, and this is a perfect use for some.

    ReplyDelete