Monday, February 8, 2016

Art Bead Scene: February 2016

This inspiration for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge is a Vogue magazine cover from January 1925.  It features the Simultaneous Dress next to the Simultaneous Car by Sonia Delaunay as illustrated by George Lepape.  To read more about the Sonia Delaunay and her artwork, check out the ABS blog HERE.  


I have to admit that the color palette is a little too "America!" for my taste... It just feels like Fourth of July I guess.  On the other hand, I am intrigued by the chevron and triangle shapes in the dress and car.  Unfortunately, my bead stash doesn't really lend itself to sharp geometric patterns.  I'm more of a round girl I guess. 

I was thinking that this month might just be a simple pair of earrings with some lampwork beads but then I managed to find a carved ceramic lentil bead from Golem Design Studio that had some promise!  Even though it has a floral or leaf pattern, it'd got a geometric look to it that I think works.  As soon as I decided on the focal I knew I had to make a version of a bracelet that Lorelei Eurto shared in Bead Style magazine a while back.  (This is such a fun and versatile design and I've been itching to make some more of these guys!)


Lampwork beads from BeadyGirl Beads and Firelily Glass round out the art bead goodness in this bracelet.  Most of my smaller blue beads were a little too bright and red is the more dominate color in the inspiration piece, so there's a definite focus on the red in my bracelet.  I added in some plated steel seed beads and pewter rice shaped beads to pull in the chrome from the car.

I'm surprisingly pleased with how this piece came together... proof that it's good to get out of your comfort zone from time to time.  This baby is headed to Unearthed Arts later this week! 


7 comments:

  1. I just love your design!
    Terri Greenawalt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a great design and great art beads to use for the inspiration. I was intimidated by this picture, but reading your post actually made an idea pop into my head. I hope I have time to bring it to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I'm glad that I could help. ;) I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

      Delete
  3. You did well considering the initial struggle with the America feel to the illustration. That was something I struggled with too so I know exactly where you were as I had the same struggle.
    Your bracelet is very lovely
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great design. So very versatile. I like the way those flowers really look more like triangles to me. Perfect for the inspiration! It is a challenge after all... so I try not to make it too easy for you all! ;-) Thanks for joining in! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty focal bead, your bracelet really looks good!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete