Sunday, March 3, 2013

Artsy Market Recap

I know that I've been talking a lot in this blog about the Artsy Market...that's because it's been kind of a big deal to participate in my first sale that's open to the public.  It's a different thing putting yourself out there for the whole world to see and judge as opposed to just sharing with friends and family.

Over the last month I have put a lot of extra hours into making Sj Designs an actual business...creating tons of new jewelry, and getting my display goodies all ready.  I feel bad and have to make apologies to my husband for keeping him up too late beading too often lately (and for talking jewelry almost nonstop)!

Friday night we were able to get into the Waconia Farm Supply Garden Center to start setting up.  I was super lucky to get a corner with some built-in adjustable shelving for added display space (it turns out I was also lucky not to be on the sunny and hot side of the building but I didn't know that yet).  There was a bit of semi-controlled chaos as all the vendors tried to figure out their display space and traffic flow...I think that Summer's signage had gotten moved around a bit along the way which didn't help.  Anyway, Eric and I loaded in my display items and set up as much as we could, then headed home for dinner and last minute details.  I had tons of jitters, but at this point I had done all that I could possibly do to prepare.

After all this build up, last Saturday was finally the day!  Anna met me and helped finish getting all my jewelry arranged and on display.  Before we knew it, it was 9:45 and there was a huge line of people waiting to come inside and check out the Artsy Market (or maybe just get their goody bag and flee).

Traffic was steady throughout most of the day and I made a fair amount of sales.  Going into this with little to no real expectations, I was just happy to have made up for the cost of my exhibitor fee and display items.  Success!!

Me in my "booth"
It was great to see so many of my friends and family who stopped by during the day.  I appreciate your support (and your purchases!), but I have to say that the real thrill was making my first sale to a total stranger.  I know that may sound sort of weird, but there it is.  Someone who had never met me and had no relationship with me whatsoever saw something that I made that they loved enough to buy.  I'm not going to lie, it made me a little giddy!

Anna and I at the end of a long day...happy but tired!
All in all it was a great day and a good first experience with this kind of sale.  I will know more what to do and expect next time....and there will be a next time!  After collapsing into a tired puddle Saturday night, today is a new day so it's time to clean up and start working on some new designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment