Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Inspired by Reading :: In Other Lands

After a long hiatus, the Allegory Gallery Inspired by Reading Book Club is back!  I missed the first online meet up (for both January and February selections), but I did read the January book and actually make something.  It may be a sign of the apocalypse, lol.  

This young adult was totally new to me... it hadn't been on my radar at all.  It was an enjoyable read even if in some ways it didn't totally break new ground.  The main character Elliot comes from a bit of a troubled home where his mom left when he was very young and his dad pretty much totally checked out.  As a young teenager Elliot is is invited "over the wall" and into the Borderlands where elves, harpies, trolls, and, yes, mermaids all exist. The book follows Elliot and his two best friends Serene and Luke over the course of their schooling at the Border Camp and their various exploits along the way.



For whatever reason, Elliott's infatuation with mermaids, even though they are not exactly the beautiful creatures of some fairy tales, really amused me.  He was really so excited to meet ALL the mythical creatures of the Borderlands and that was endearing.  Anyways, it was the mermaids that inspired my creation for this book.  

Originally, I was planning on making a necklace and earrings set with some mermaid tail pieces I have from Michelle McCarthy.  Time ran out on me and I never had an idea fully some together for me on this so I pivoted.  I found a lovely mermaid key from Green Girl Studios in a patinated copper finish that seemed like a good fit.  I had just gotten some Czech glass beaded chain and decided to meld the two things into one design.  The chain has a raw brass finish so I set about to combine the two metals throughout the necklace.  



To give more visual and physical weight to the pendant, I wire wrapped a turquoise nugget with some copper plated beads, Czech glass in a coordinating color, and brass wire.  Not my normal for mixed metals, but I really like how tis came together.


I'm sure that I won't be able to keep up with every month... (heck, I've already missed February!) but I'll enjoy playing along with the book club when I can.  I may start reading the April book on my upcoming trip to Alabama to ensure I get it read in enough time!  

If you're interested in finding more about the Inspired by Reading Book Club and maybe joining in this creative challenge, you can read more HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment