Saturday, March 28, 2020

Art Elements Theme of the Month March 2020: Gnomes!

It's been quite a while since I've played along with the Art Elements Theme of the Month challenges.  Life's just been a bit busy and chaotic.  Now in these unprecedented times of COVID-19 and the need for social distancing, I have no excuse to not find some time at the bead table and play along!  Plus, it was impossible to pass up Gnomes as a theme!

Much like our hostess, Jenny Davies-Reazor, I adored the book Gnomes by Poortvliet and Huygen.  I didn't have a copy but one of my sisters did and I would sneak into her room to read it.  (She wasn't all about the sharing with her little sister.)  I did have some little plastic gnome figurines though.  I still have them (see the picture I made Eric take below) but seem to have lost the mini version of the book that came with them.  It's probably around somewhere... possibly batted under a piece of furniture by naughty kitties.



The first thing I grabbed to play with for this challenge was a pair of gnome earring charms by Blue Hare Art Wear.  I actually got these cuties as a gift with a purchase a while back.  I think they are just so stinkin' fun with their stylized design and those little red button noses!  I added some red fire agate and little turquoise crystals on top to go with the subtle stripes in their little hats.


As luck would have it, right around the time this challenge was announced, my friend Heather Powers of Humblebeads did a special batch of woodland beads including her sweet little gnomes.  I knew I had to have one for this, and I was able to snatch one up!  I used the gnome as part of a charm cluster for a necklace, pairing him with some coordinating Czech glass flowers and beads.  Since the flowers were mostly blue, I wanted to get some more pops of red in the design so I added some links to one side of the necklace then balanced it with a bit of heavier chain on the other sided.  I'm pretty tickled with how this one turned out!



Ok, this last pair of earrings isn't directly gnome themed, but I could totally see some gnomies hanging out lounging under or on these cute little mushrooms.  Heather Powers also made these adorable polymer clay charms.  I paired them with some yummy red Czech glass that has a luster to its finish and tiny teal crystals.  The findings are all Vintaj Natural Brass and are nickel and lead free.


This is a blog hop!  Stop by and see what everyone else was inspired to make!

AE team:
Guests: 
Sarajo  - you are here

7 comments:

  1. Love both pairs of earrings but that necklace is just perfect with the charm cluster. That little gnome is adorable and I love how you used beads to create little toadstools! So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAH! So adorable!! You always seem to have (or get) just the right art beads and charms for a challenge. The gnome necklace is awesome. I really like how you balanced the necklace with the thick chain on the other side. Smart. It's those mushroom earrings that really steal the show for me though. I LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable interpretations of the them. Both pairs of earrings are super cute and the asymmetric necklace design is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! Perfect! Heather's gnome is a charming wee fellow - I really like that asymmetrical design. The mushrooms are totally on point! The earrings - what color, and a fun surprise to wear. I am so glad you could join us! Hi to E from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The necklace is so pretty and I love the little mushrooms, but the first pair of earrings is adorable, it made me laugh with delight! The beads you chose to compliment the gnomes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your creations SO very much! Delighted that you were able to sneak some time with that magical book to heighten your creativity that we can all enjoy these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these, but the gnome necklace really stole my heart! I like the idea of asymmetrical balance being achieved by using a heavier chain on one side. I'd never thought of that before. Cool!

    ReplyDelete