Friday, February 21, 2020

We're All Ears February 2020 :: Sculpt the World


I was sailing around the Caribbean when Erin announced this month's We'er All Ears challenge... since so many of these amazing designs seem to be "built" in the sand, that seemed kind of perfect!  I am just smitten with these designs created by Jon Foreman out of natural materials including rocks, shells, sticks, etc.  The spiral designs are particularly appealing to me.

I couldn't help but be reminded of an amazing geological map we saw on our trip to Great Britain in June...  There was a super cool piece in the middle of a park in York where the Yorkshire part of William Smith's 1815 geological map was all laid out using a variety of natural stones by artist Janette Ireland.  You can read more about the project HERE.  (I really meant to do a real write up with highlights of that fabulous trip, but I still haven't gotten around to it!)  I'm glad I could find my pictures of this art installation to share today.  I could have stared at this thing for hours!


There are fossil patterns in each of the four corners – fossil ferns, ammonites (seen here), crinoids and sea urchins.


Kind of cool that York is represented by an icon made from stone discarded in the renovation of York Minster.


Ok, sorry for that little diversion... onto the main event, the earrings!!  I had grand plans of making a new pair of spiral wire earrings like I made in Tracy Stanley's class on the very first Bead Cruise I ever went on in 2014.  Let's just say that I'm rusty and that it didn't go so well.  I'm going to keep working on it to see if I can finally make another pair in copper.  My sterling ones are my go-to earrings for everyday.  (I'm actually wearing them as I type this!!)

When I got frustrated with my first idea, I moved on to some long dangly earrings that were far less cantankerous!  I saw that I had some little teardrops from Unicorn Beads in colors that reminded me of polished stones.  I slipped a few on large brass jump rings and then decided they needed a little something else to complete the look.  I grabbed some metallic English cut Czech glass, a brass spacer, and then a smaller Czech glass rondelle to connect the jump rings to the ear wires.  I like the look even if they are a little subdued for my normal taste.


Inspired by the red spiral piece in the bottom left of the collage at the top of this post, I managed to whip up a second pair of earrings just before the deadline.  I had some fun red glazed spiral lentils from Golem Design Studio that felt just right.  (I actually bought this design in a variety of colors because I was smitten with the style.)  I added some Czech glass and blackened components for a fun pair of dangly earrings!


This is a blog hop!  Pop on over to the Earrings Everyday blog HERE to see what everyone else was inspired to make!


5 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I really wanted to make some graduated "stones" and replicate the spiral in the sand. Now that I know how to make my faux stones I might have to revisit this as a pendant idea. Live me some Golem! Thanks for playing along with me in the We're All Ears challenge! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the teardrop earrings. The teardrops are a wonderful shape. I tend to get stuck in a rut when buying beads. This is a great shape to have on hand. Who doesn't love Golem Design! You turned those great beads into a wonderful pair of earrings. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the muted pair. Even though they are monochromatic, there is so much texture and rhythm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the tour - and the earrings. I especially like the ones with the Unicorn Beads drops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pairs of earrings! I love the colors and compositions in both of them.

    ReplyDelete