For this month's Art Elements Theme of the Month, Lesley Watt has given us an interesting prompt... repurposing! This is a really broad theme and I had super grand plans at the beginning of the month. I'm sure that some of you can relate to the fact that time has sort of gotten away from me this time!
I'm guessing that my contributions are not going to be as impressive or exciting as what many folks come up with, but meet the challenge where you're at, right??
I started out by making a necklace with another one of the vintage keys that a friend gifted me awhile back. I've still got quite a few keys left in my stash, so I'm guessing you'll see more key-filled designs from me in the future now that I've broken them out!
This one is long and can just be slipped over your head without any monkeying around with a clasp.
Next up, I played more with some of the vintage tin that I broke out for the Art Bead Scene Art Journey 2 challenge. This time I'm using some of the pieces from the edges of the containers lid (I'm so glad that I didn't toss them... Packrat for the win!!) I had really hoped to be able to cut a taller triangle, but I just didn't have the material to work with this time. I'll have to revisit my other idea later. After cutting the two trapezoids instead, I hammered the rolled edge of the lid flat and filed all the edges smooth. Because of the shape, I knew that I needed two connection points at the top for them to hang correctly... so then I had to decide what to put up above the tin pieces. The solution? My (very under-utilized) Now That's a Jig! Yay me! I whipped up two cute little connector pieces to fit perfectly and hammered them a bit for strength and texture.
Lastly, because I was needing to get ready for a little home jewelry party I'm doing at a friend's house this weekend, I started to make a new batch of my up-cycled beer can earrings. I had a lot of new beer can colors and patterns that I wanted to play with for the first time. Unfortunately, I didn't finish any of them... this is where things were at yesterday when I called it a day.
In the next couple of days I'll get them all put together but I always underestimate the amount of time it takes to complete these. There are so many steps... emboss the metal blanks that serve as a base, smooth the rough edges of the aluminum punch outs, punch holes in the centers of the flowers and the metal blanks, rivet, hammer in the dapping block, pick out beads, complete the bead links, attach earwires. Whew... tired just thinking about what I need to get done! Those aluminum circles at the top edge of my photo will hopefully become medallion style necklaces this week too. Fingers crossed!
This is a blog hop... Check out what everyone else created by repurposing this month! This should be a fun one!