Thursday, August 30, 2018

Art Elements Theme of the Month: Swirl


As much as I'm enjoying the new Art Elements monthly theme challenges, I wasn't sure that I'd have time to pull it off this month with an 18 day trip overseas.  Luckily, I started thinking about some possibilities before my trip and was able to really focus on getting something done as soon as we got home.  This month it was Marsha Neal's turn to choose the theme and she picked "swirl."  I'm glad that I didn't have to sit such a fun one out... even if I didn't end up making as much as I would have liked.

I thought it was only fitting to use some of Marsha's ceramic charms for this challenge (Marsha Neal Studio).  I had a bunch to choose from that all would have worked, but I loved these little teardrop shaped charms and their mix of aqua and pale green.  They went perfectly with some sage/olive green sari silk cocoons from Anna Pierson of Saga Hus (the charms don't really look so blue in person).  These were a quick and easy way for me to kick off the challenge!


One of the pendants that I had set aside for the challenge, was a fun two holed ceramic pendant by Keith O'Connor.  As luck would have it, a bead mix that I bought in the Czech Republic (more about that in a future blog post I hope) was a perfect complement for the glaze on the spiral pendant.  I decided to limit myself to using just that bead mix and added findings for the most part.  The only extra beads that I added were some brass corrugated rounds to balance things out.  I kept to the swirl theme with the Vintaj brass clasp and the lines that spiral around the barrel shaped beads.


Last but not least, I made one more pair of earrings with some little charms from my friend Diana Ptaszynski that I've had in my stash for quite some time.  I paired the root beer glazed ceramics with some wooden rounds and Czech glass with black findings.


This is a blog hop:  Check out what everyone else was inspired to create!

11 comments:

  1. All of your creations for this Challenge are beautiful. Your time crunch did not affect your creativity!I do have a preference for the necklace tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you were able to join in the challenge Sarajo! I will make sure to email the other participants this morning with your blog post update! Wonderful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that necklace :D Hope you had a fabulous trip :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I’m glad you played along. Love the Saga Hus earrings!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those components go so beautifully together, well done! I love all your swirly pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! I love the colors and component combinations in all your pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed seeing your earrings with ceramics by Marsha, It is always interesting to see what other do with similar components. Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can I pick a favorite???? I guess the maroon beads with spiral dangles. But I must say that I loved the "cocoons" on the first pair. And that necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you created (and how perfect that you had some of Marsha's charms)! I would love to hear more about the beads and the trip you took! It is on my to do list for years now to visit Jablonec in czech to buy beads... and it would only be a 3-4 hours trip by car. But I still didn't manage. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pieces, Sarajo! You did great for not having much time! Thanks for joining! And yep, loved seeing your trip photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarajo! I DO look forward to hearing more about the trip - that looked fantastic! Love your earrings! Those cocoons have nice visual contrast: fiber and metal. Sorry I was late to the hop - as Lesley was here and we were away on the retreat.

    ReplyDelete