Monday, June 11, 2018

Art Bead Scene: June 2018

This month's Art Bead Scene inspiration artwork is Les Ibis by Jean Metzinger.  You can read more about the artist and the artwork over on the ABS blog HERE.  I have to admit that this style of art really isn't my thing... I think that it's both too abstract for my sensibilities at one end of the spectrum while being weirdly not abstract enough at the other.  Does that make any sense at all???  Oh, well... onto the jewelry!

Les Ibis by Jean Metzinger, 1907

Instead of digging through my art bead collection to see what might possibly work, I decided to capitalize on the fact that my friend Erin Prais-Hintz of Tesori Trovati sent the June installment of her Simple Truths Sampler Club out early.  Instead of putting all my new goodies away I chose to work with her pendant that was directly inspired by this piece of artwork!

The pendant I received was predominately peach and shades of green.  Actually, there's a fair amount of black in there too, but I wanted to keep the colors sweet and spring like.  I started with some chrysoprase ovals and some lovely peach moonstone star cut beads.  I found a few little clear green flower beads in the leftovers of a bead mix that added a nice contrast to the lighter colors.  I also used some vintage glass rondelles in pale green to use as spacers along with small seed beads.  Limited by the amounts of some of these beads that I had on hand, I finished off the back of the necklace with some brass ladder chain from Vintaj.


The really cool thing about Erin's pendant is that the back is just as lovely as the front... you can wear this necklace with either side facing out!


While this design may be a little more petite and sweet than what I tend to wear, I love how it turned out!  I'm also so thrilled when what I end up with lives up to the initial vision I have in my head and that totally happened this time.


6 comments:

  1. Oh! How I love this! Thank you for giving this sweet little pendant the star treatment this month. It is a beautiful necklace! And I just nudged the opening of the ABS gallery so check back soon! Missed seeing you last weekend at B&B. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally lovely necklace Sarajo. Love all the colors of the beads you chose and Erin's pendant is just perfect for your vision of the necklace and how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pendant and a beautiful necklace, the colors are so summery and dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect pairing of your gemstones with that beautiful pastel pendant. All goes together for a Summery necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the pendant is quite cute and makes your necklace lovely

    ReplyDelete