Friday, November 18, 2016

We're All Ears: November 2016

Miss Erin always finds the most delicious things to inspire our earring making... this month that is true both literally and figuratively!  She found a fascinating video of hand crank candy machines from the 1800s that a Tallahassee, Florida candy company has restored and put back into use.  So cool!  And I love the company's name: Public Displays of Confection!



A big ol' pile of the Victorian Nectar Drops

I was inspired by the color of the Victorian Nectar Drops, the cool vintage machinery, and the idea of the pressed shapes achieved through this candy making process.  I ended up with three pairs of earrings this month!

First up a pair that is all about the golden amber color of the Nectar drops!  I thought the Czech glass looked a little like the shapes that rolled out of that machine.


Next is another pair that features beads with a cool pattern that I could imagine being used with drop candies.  The color is darker and less true to the inspiration, but I used gold plated and filled findings to bring in the amber tones.


My last pair is also my favorite.  I'm finally making use of some enameled gears made by C-Koop Beads that I've been hoarding forever.  I wanted to tap into how cool that machinery is and the gears are my way of representing that.  I added some yellow vintage glass beads (thank you, Allegory Gallery!) that remind me of gum drops to the bottom of the gears.  And of course, I used brass findings because the brass rollers in the machine!


I hope you enjoyed the candy-inspired ear candy I made this month!  These will be at my Holiday Open House on December 4th.  You can check out what everyone else was inspired to make over at Earrings Everyday HERE.


8 comments:

  1. Love all those Czech beads! They really do look like those drops! I chuckled when I saw this because I have those same exact green gears from C-Koop and I almost used them in much the same way. Hive mind! I totally am hungry for those Nectar drops. I would love to taste them! Thanks for playing along with me. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great earrings. I love the gears too. Good luck on your open house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all of your earrings are wonderful. I am glad you got a chance to use the gears. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the beads you chose--they really do look like the nectar drops! :D
    Best of luck on your open house... wish I lived closer, because I would love to stop by! I hope you have a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect earrings for the challenge: they look like candy! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fab! Your bead choices are perfect for the inspiration, I totally want to suck on them. Yeah, I'm weird like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I felt the same way when I saw the amber "gum drop" beads in Andrew's destash. But remember, don't eat the beads!

      Delete
  7. Yummy! I can't believe they are not candy ;) Beautiful colors and designs!

    ReplyDelete