Friday, July 18, 2014

We're All Ears: July 2014

For July's We're All Ears challenged hosted by the Earrings Everyday blog, they went a little patriotic with the inspiration.  Take a look:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Two-Sailing-Boats-Puget-Sound-Washington-Posters_i3511549_.htm
I have to admit that I wasn't immediately inspired by this one... perhaps the red, white, and blue really isn't my thing (although I do love bright turquoise and red together...hmm.)  Anyway, I had pretty much decided to give this one a pass and focus on some of the three billion other jewelry projects that need attending to when I got a possible idea.  Even as I started pulling bead possibilities, I still wasn't sure that this was going to come together... but it did!  Here's what I came up with!


I did a little mixed metal action with the hammered rings from Vintaj and some oval silver plated chain links from Nunn Design.  I chose a mix of blue beads in Czech glass and Sodalite and a tiny pop of red glass too.  I think it feels summery without being too 4th of July.  The texture on the chain lends a little bit of a nautical feel to things.  

Overall, I'm happy with this design idea and will probably revisit it with different colors and metals before too long (i.e. before I totally forget!).

Check out what everyone else made too!



14 comments:

  1. I love these inspired earrings, Sarajo! The textured rings do bring a nod to the ships' ropes into your design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used Sodalite also. You know what they say about like minds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your interpretation, Sj! They look like something I should have for the Bead Cruise! Are you and Kathleen signed up??? Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! Yes, Kathleen and I have a cabin booked for Bead Cruise 2015! I've got to whip up a second piece for the little design challenge Diana came up for us today. Yay!

      Delete
  4. Love the earrings! It's funny, but I came up with a very similar design for my earrings :) What a coincidence! You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all those hoops! Very funky design with a good 'swing' to them - love them and great for going to a party! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of the mixed metals and that bright pop of red! These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now those are earrings that I would wear! I tend to avoid the red, white and blue theme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful! They have a hint of the nautical but also can be worn with so many different styles. That little pop of color is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd totally wear those in a different color. Like, you know, black! The nautical nod really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the laugh, Kathleen! You know it could be arranged to make you a pair in black. :) Maybe for a present when you land that fabulous new job in DC!!!

      Delete
  10. Sweet earrings. They are perfect for summer and look like they have some swing to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you didn't pass on this one. These earrings are really cool! I love the cluster of textured chain links and how you added bead dangles to every other one. That is an effective way to showcase the dangles. Great balance. I learned something new. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh... I really like this, Miss Sarajo! I agree with you on the patriotic colors. I like them but not all together. This is one way to tone it down with the mixed metals and the unique textures. They feel more bohemian. Thank you for joining in the We're All Ears Challenge for July! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete