Monday, January 27, 2020

Honey Do List January 2020

2020 marks the fifth year that my husband Eric has been giving me a design challenge each month to get me out of my comfort zone and to help clear out my bead stash... it's the Honey Do List 2020!  I know that I'm not the only one who loves a good design challenge, so I'm hoping folks will continue to play along with us!

Here's this month's inspiration and what Eric had to say about it:




This past New Years holiday we spent some time up north at some friends' cabin.  The last day of the trip we spent the whole day up in the frozen bogs of the northland looking for owls to photograph.  This hawk owl is the only success!  Show me your owliness this month!

I have a fair amount of owl themed beads in my stash... but most of them are colorful and not really realistic looking.  For this month's inspiration from my hubby, I wanted to stick with more neutral colors.  Never fear... I found a few likely suspects in my stash.  With a big trip to Walt Disney World this month, I was a bit crunched for time but after our trip I got down to business to make a couple of necklaces to show you!

First up, amid the lovely blue and teal owls from Cathleen at Blue Hare Art Wear, I did have one more realistic little hoot owl!  I loved the mix of grey, brown, and mustardy yellow on him!  I went for a strung design that is a mix of Czech glass, Smoky quartz, and Mookaite with a couple of tiny faceted Ocean Jaspers near the front.  As I was gathering bead possibilities for this and my other necklace I found a little container with some orphaned beads including the Smoky Quartz... this necklace used all those up!  (Now to fill that little container with some new beads!!)


Next up is one I may decide to keep for myself... a long necklace with a lovely polymer clay owl pendant that I bought from Jenny Davies-Reazor last year at Bead & Button.  I fell in love with this little guy when I saw him and had to bring him home with me!  To complement his little spotted chest, I chose a Montana Moss Agate with some little speckles in it to dangle from the pendant.  Apparently I was in a stringing mood still, and I went with a mix of Czech glass, Dalmatian Jasper, and Pyrite for this long design.



Now it's your turn!  Please add links to/photos of your own creations below.  I love seeing what everyone else is making too!  Check back on February 1st to see what Eric has in store for us next month!  Here's to the start of what I hope will be a happy and creative year!
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

1 comment:

  1. I hate that I wasn't able to participate in this challenge with all the other things I had going on last month. I thought about sharing just some of the owl-inspired pieces I've made in the past, but that felt like cheating. In any case, I'm totally digging that second necklace you were able to make. It's dreamy!!

    ReplyDelete