Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Inspired by Reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

The April selection for the Inspired by Reading Book Club was Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.  This is one that I'd been interested in for a little while so I was happy to see it on our list for this year!

As the story began I really just felt like Eleanor was just an odd duck of a character.  She's someone very rigid and totally stuck in her routines.  She really lives for the structure that her office job gives her during the week and then loses herself in vodka over the weekend to make the off time go faster.  As you continue to read, you begin to understand that there are many layers to Eleanor and they are slowly peeled back.  As usual, I really don't want to say too much about the book to avoid giving anything away. 


As much as I enjoyed this novel, I was at a bit of a loss for what to make.  Maybe I just go too immersed in the story and wasn't paying attention to creative jumping off points.  In the end, the only thing that came to mind was a bit of a stretch.  I chose Eleanor's froggy pouf to start off my design! 

I knew that I had a pair of enameled frog charms from Gardanne that would be cute as part of a charm style necklace.  When I was picking those out of my art bead storage, a little word bead from Swoondimples caught my eye as well.  I thought the message of "give more" made sense for Eleanor... her life starts to change as she starts to give a little more of herself to those around her... opening up.  I added the key to represent Eleanor unlocking the secrets of her past to herself and those close to her.  The flower is to mark how Eleanor really blossomed by the end of the novel.


I love the colors in this long charm necklace.  I added a few Czech glass links along the chain for additional color.  I know that this one is a bit quirky, but I hope it finds a happy home with the right person!


Thanks for stopping by to see what I've been up to lately!  I hope you're having a great week.  We're finally getting some spring weather here so I'm trying to balance making new jewelry with enjoying some fresh air and sunshine!

2 comments:

  1. I love this necklace! I love the bright green colors and the reason why you picked each piece. It sounds like it was an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This necklace is really sweet! I read just the very beginning of the book and wasn't getting into it. I thought it was the sort of book that would get better to me as I read along, and you've confirmed that. I will go back to it at some point.

    ReplyDelete