Saturday, June 30, 2018

Art Elements Theme of the Month June 2018: Sunflowers

I'm really loving the new Art Elements Theme of the Month challenge!  It's great that anyone can play along with a project in any medium.  This month's prompt came from Sue Kennedy and she chose sunflowers!


As is often my way, I started off by making a pair of earrings.  (Seriously... I do this all the time figuring that earrings are relatively quick and easy and then at least I'll have something done for a challenge no matter what.)  Anyway, I digress.  I decided to use a pair of Humblebeads sunflower cane polymer clay discs as my starting point.  (Heather Powers has done several different versions of sunflower discs... this one actually has some sun and leaf canes in the mix too but you can't see it in my picture.)  I made little dangle bead units using topaz Czech glass flowers and turquoise rondelles along with brass accents and hung them from a yummy pair of sari silk cocoons by Anna Pierson of Saga Hus.


Next up, a necklace!  My sweet husband bought me a nice selection of polymer clay beads from Summer Wind Art including an oval daisy pendant.  There is definitely a sunflower sensibility about the pendant so I decided to run with it for this challenge!  I strung it with a bunch of different Czech glass beads, a few vintage glass beads, and some faceted yellow jade.  I quite like the asymmetry of this one even if the colors feel more fall like.


I made a second necklace that features a sunflower connector from Green Girl Studios.  I guess that I could have gone with a more fanciful color palette for this one (and since I still have another one of the fine pewter pieces I may yet do that) but I had the perfect sunflower colored tiny Czech glass flowers that called out to be used here.  Lots of orange and yellow glass flower links and dangles make up this design!


I didn't make these next two designs for this challenge specifically, but I thought that they were worth sharing again anyway!  The first is a necklace that I made for my husband's April Honey Do List challenge featuring a Humblebeads sunflowers lentil.  The earrings have some awesome Golem Design Studio charms and more Humblebeads discs.



Thanks for stopping by!  This is a blog hop.  Check out what everyone else was inspired to make!


Guests

Sarajo - You are Here!

AE Team

Sue


17 comments:

  1. I love that last pair of earrings.. Your pieces are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I have such a difficult time to use yellow in my work, as well as wearing yellow regardless if it is in clothing or jewelery. But I would wear all your pieces instantly! You have a such a wonderful eye for shape and colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you made! Love the necklaces, and especially Heather's beads! I'm glad you showed us the other creations, thank you so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful selection - I particularly like the Green Girl piece since the pewter with the yellows is an unusual combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I find a list of your prices of jewelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to email me at sjdesignsjewelry@gmail.com or send me a Facebook message through my Sj Designs Jewelry business page. :)

      Delete
  6. You showcased all the art beads perfectly. Each piece is a delight of color and composition. Really stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your creations but my favorite necklace is the first one-the asymmetrical necklace with the ceramic sunflower pendant. Love the suble colors and the design. And I would definitely wear either pair of those earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lot of wonderful designs you created! They are all wonderful but I really love the asymmetric necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you've created here. Your color choices are really harmonious and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bohemian feel of the pieces. These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work, I love them all

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of your pieces. They are perfect for the theme. I especially loved seeing what you did with Heather's gorgeous beads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is a total delight. You have a knack for combining,shapes, textures and colors in interesting and lovely ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit Sarajo that I don't have a fave because I love them ALL, even if they're different colorways and styles. I love the wrapped silk cocoons too.
    Alysen

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooo the green necklace with the Humblebead sunflower bead is my favourite. You rarely see green pieces and it is one of my favourite colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love LOVE all your pretty designs - fab textures all across the board too. ♥

    ReplyDelete