Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Art Bead Scene: April 2018

This month's inspiration for the Art Bead Scene challenge is the oil painting Discs of Newton (Study for "Fugue in Two Colors") by Frantisek Kupka.  I have to admit that this artwork is a little more abstract than what I normally respond to, but the rings of color are intriguing.  You can read more about the artist and this painting over on the ABS blog HERE

Title: Disks of Newton (Study for “Fugue in Two Colors”)
By: FrantiĊĦek Kupka
Date: 1912
The first thing that came to my mind was an adorable little apple charm that I got from an Earthenwood Studio destash bundle a few months ago.  I thought it would be fun to make a little charm bundle with it, but before I started piecing that together I looked through my little collection of charms from Heather Powers' Inspired by Nature Fall Retreat to see if there was a charm set that the apple would work with.  I found just the thing made by Beth Steffl!  To give the necklace more physical and visual weight, I wire wrapped a lentil bead from Golem Design Studio with a fun pattern of concentric circles reminiscent of the inspiration artwork.  I made links with glass rounds in shades of red, orange, and yellow.


I'm rarely happy to just make one thing for these design challenges, and this is no exception!  I had snagged a cool enameled pendant from Gardanne that called out to me in response to the inspiration artwork.  While the turquoise isn't in the inspiration artwork, there are other shades of blue and green so I'm taking some artistic license!  I thought the way the red is dashed along the pendant in rows speaks to the segments of colors in concentric circles in the painting.  Since the pendant is mostly red, I chose to have more of the turquoise in the necklace with pops of red an silver to balance things out.


Thanks for stopping by to see my latest designs! 

3 comments:

  1. The second necklace with its patterned pendant is intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these necklaces are stunning in their own way. I really can't say I prefer one over the other!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding (Newton's) apple to the first necklace is cute but Golem's focal is certainly the star both visually and color-wise. I love the pop of color of the second focal and the combo with turquoise is a winner!

    ReplyDelete