Monday, June 27, 2016

The Honey Do List: June 2016

This year, my husband Eric has decided to issue me a design challenge each month to get me out of my comfort zone and to help clear out my bead stash... we're calling it the Honey Do List.  I know that I'm not the only one who loves a good design challenge, so I'm inviting folks to play along!  

Here is this month's inspiration and what Eric had to say about it:  


I wanted to use a shot from our recent trip to Oregon for this month's challenge.  I took this picture at the Japanese Gardens in Portland, where I noticed the reflection of the ferns on the top of the rippling reflecting pool.  I waited several minutes, dodging small children, until a koi happened by--making the shot even more interesting.  Take inspiration from the color palette, the fish, the ferns, the water, the clouds--whatever strikes your fancy!  

First off, I have to say again how impressed I am with this photo that Eric took... and really, his growing photography skills in general.  I know he may not always pick one of his pictures to inspire us, but it sure is fun when he does!  I sometimes wonder if has an idea of what he thinks I might pick to work with for a given challenge... or what he hopes I will choose.  I think that may have happened a tiny bit this time with this first design.

The starting point for this necklace was a lampwork bead that I got at a local bead show a while back.  (Sadly, I'm not sure of the artist's name... I think it is from Potekglass but I'm not 100% sure.)  I remember at the time that we were both enamored with it because it reminded us of a koi pond!  Fast forward a few years and I'm finally using it paired with a ceramic bead from Golem Design Studio and some silver plated and pewter accents including a chain tassel to complete the pendant.  The turquoise is a little out there for the photo's color palette, but I do like how the orange and white are in there!  I added a couple of Czech glass beads along the chain to complete this long, summery look.



Next up, I moved my focus more to the idea of the fern reflection and WAY away from the color palette.  I used a fun fern focal from Round Rabbit that has a great combination of green and turquoise.  (I seriously love what she does with her glazes!).  I chose an assortment of green and turquoise blue Czech glass beads as well as a few prehinite rounds with brass findings.


I have a couple of koi themed pieces from Green Girl Studios in my hoard... one pendant I liked so much that I've bought it in both bronze and pewter!  I figured now was as good of time as any to use at least one of them.  I'm in love with the combination of turquoise or teal with orange and wanted to play with that a little more here.  I'm almost tempted to keep this one for myself, but knowing that I still have the (more expensive) bronze version, I may be able to hold off.  I think I'll end up making a variation on this theme for myself at a later date.








get the InLinkz code


15 comments:

  1. Love what you've created for this month! My favorite is the last one. You didn't even mention the leafy clasp on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the necklaces you made. you have been working hard on these beautiful pieces.
    I have enjoyed all these challenges and can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice! I really got inspired this month! Believe it or not, I had even more pieces in mind but ran out of time with other challenges and projects on my plate. I'm so glad that you are having fun playing along!

      Delete
  3. I super love the fern very dramatic without being over whelming! Yum it should be mine! All are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! I wanted to comment on your blog but couldn't figure out how to do it. :/ Love what you did with your tin focal... really cool. Beautiful piece! Thanks for playing along with us this month!

      Delete
  4. You could say this challenge was 'made for you'! haha ha! Fantastic pieces, I especially love the third one with the czech glass to resemble flowers floating in the pond. My favorite bead you used is definately the glass bead! You paired it well with the golem and tassel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to wonder if Eric is upping his game and plotting what inspiration will make me create the most jewelry pieces. Lol. Despite how much I've been making lately (mostly with art beads) I still don't have room to put my Bead & Button finds away! I am glad that I finally used that glass bead... I've been waiting for the perfect challenge for quite a while!

      Delete
  5. Wow! It took me a while to take my eyes off the photo. But, when I did and saw how it inspired You! Wonderful pieces...all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your pieces are gorgeous! I keep trying to pick a favorite, and failing miserably. Beautiful, beautiful work... And thanks so much for letting me play along! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words... and for joining in the fun!

      Delete
  7. Love the inspiration photos, and your necklaces are so pretty!! Wonderful work! <3

    Laura xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful photo it makes for great inspiration! I do love all your necklace the fern focal really spoke to me as I love ferns and grow a number in the garden I use them for inspiration in paintings and jewellery. Your Koi necklace is great and that Koi focal bead is so beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you and Eric collaborate together! Three beautiful pieces. The inspiration photo is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I have to say Eric's photo is amazing!
    Ypu certainly were very inspired and very busy! I really like how you paired the glass bead with the Golem bead. Has me looking at my Golem stash differently. You're other necklaces are lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete