Monday, April 25, 2022

April 2022 Honey Do List

2022 marks the seventh year that my husband Eric has been giving me a design challenge each month to get me out of my comfort zone and to help clear out my bead stash... The Honey Do List!  (Y'all, time really does fly!!)  I know that I'm not the only one who loves a good design challenge, so I'm hoping folks will continue to play along with us!

Here's this month's inspiration and what Eric had to say about it: 


Since we are finally getting close to actual Spring (yes we had rain, freezing rain, and snow yesterday in MN,) I decided to pick an optimistic sun for this month's challenge!  I took this on our trip to England a few years ago and am just now getting to go through my pictures of that amazing trip.  I bumped up the contrast and vibrance on this picture to accentuate the color and texture differences.  Good luck and good beading!

Apparently, Eric was a little apprehensive that I wouldn't have much that would work for this month's inspiration... but that couldn't have been further from the truth!  I found LOTS of good stuff that would possibly fit the colors and themes.  My bigger issue was pulling myself back in to focus on one project at a time.

Per my usual process, I started with some fun earrings.  I do this for two reasons... 1) I know I'll have something made come reveal day and 2) it helps get my creative juices flowing as my other pieces hang out at the edges of my bead mat.  

First up, I played with two different sets of ceramic charms from Jana at Happy Fish Things.  Both had the turquoise of the sun's patina but the first pair is much more rustic.  At first I was thinking to use these great charms with the narrow end down... in moving things around my mat, one got turned the other way and a light bulb went off in my brain!  I used some fun little metal beads and tiny Czech glass rondelles to dangle from the bottom of the tribal feeling charms.  

The second pair of charms are more glossy and refined feeling.  They have both the turquoise and the golden tones in there.  I paired some great verdigris acrylic melon beads with brass nuggets and Czech glass.  I did some mixed metal action combining brass, copper, and blackened tones.  

Next, another pair of earrings with pretty much the same top portion as the last pair, but with gorgeous enamel charms from Blue Hare Art Wear this time.  The golden color of the charms was just perfect for the rusty bits and lichen in Eric's photo.


But, wait.... there's more!  I "found" a lovely layered botanical pendant from Slate Studios Supply in my stash that hadn't yet been properly put away.  (Bonus, now I don't have to!)  Anyway, the rustic texture and patina of the center portion of the ceramic piece nicely reflected the colors in the sun of the inspiration photo.  This piece is really all about the patina color but I also give a nod to the rough background with some matte Czech glass and cuprite.    


I managed to eke out one more necklace before time ran out on my this month.  While not a sun, the face in the middle of this delightful polymer clay focal by Staci Louise Originals reminded me of the sun in the photo.  And it didn't hurt that the colors were right!  I went asymmetrical this time using a mix of bead links and stringing with a mix of Czech glass beads and copper plated accents.
  

I still have a bunch of partially thought out designs sitting on my bead table.  Who know, I may end up getting one or more of them done before we say goodbye to April.  Even though I do it more often than I'd like, I really don't want to shuffle these pretties into a box for (hopefully) another time.  I've got too many of those little boxes and bags of ufos!  Here's a tiny peak at one of the ideas I was having earlier in the month before I close.


Now it's your turn!  Please add links to/photos of your own creations below.  I love seeing what everyone else is making too.  Check back soon to see what Eric has in store for us this month

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my, I knew you could make wonders with your enviable stash but the charms in the first pair of earrings look like they've been cut our from the picture! The other piece that grabbed my heart is the necklace with the botanical focal - wonderful idea to use it to represent the image of the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job with the colors from this inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rustic-ness you kept to all your designs for this challenge. That last necklace takes the cake for me (BLUE, wings, czech glass - YESSSS!!!!) But, I'm also partial to the earrings with the charms from Blue Hare Art Wear. I'm running a little behind on making and sharing mine. I love the inspiration photo, but had a hard time translating it. Once I did...I was off! Thanks for the challenge. It really led to a snowball of ideas for me (see my blog post.) ;)

    ReplyDelete