Friday, June 26, 2020

Art Elements Theme of the Month June 2020 :: Summer Solstice


The Art Elements Theme of the Month is appropriately the Summer Solstice.  I do so love the long days of summer... although since the Solstice has come and gone I know that they will be getting shorter from here.  Sigh.  Anyway, I focused on the sun for my two designs this month.  Looking on the bright side of life and all that!

For my first design I revisited the idea of doing a bead embroidered bezel around a bottle cap.  Bell's Oberon is a summer seasonal...  a great patio beer that I've been known to enjoy in the warmer months.  


I had one another sunny, summery pendant in my stash so it was time for some stringing!  I paired a lovely hand painted wooden pendant by Ashley Bonney of Summer Wind Art with a fun mix of beads.  It's hard to tell in my photos, but the sun itself is a lovely gold paint... thus my decision to use raw brass chain and findings.  I started pulling beads with the blue tones... I used a mix of Czech glass, faceted Angelite, and Aquamarine.  I pulled in a tiny bit of green with a trio of green lampwork glass beads (artists unknown) and wood tones with some coconut discs.



Here's hoping that the humidity here breaks and I get some patio time this weekend... in the shade of the umbrella.  This summer is going to be a little different than past years but I'm going to embrace it all for what it is.  Who knows, maybe it's time to pick up a new six pack of Oberon!

3 comments:

  1. They are both lovely, but the bolder colors on the first one are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have not figured out that the focal in the first piece is a bottle cap had you to written about it. It is a great example of designing with what you see around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both necklace designs are lovely. The color choices are perfect for the theme. I've never done bead embroidery so I'm curious what the back of that bottle cap pendant looks like. The front is amazing.

    ReplyDelete