Thursday, April 30, 2020

Art Elements Theme of the Month April 2020: Bees

When I first saw that the April Theme of the Month from the Art Elements blog was bees, I was equal parts excited and nervous.  I actually had a moment where I was worried that I wouldn't have much to choose from in my stash since I made a whole bunch of bee jewelry last year for a different challenge.  It was clearly a needless concern... (and full disclosure, I found a few more things after I took this picture!)


The first thing I whipped up for this month's challenge was a cute little pair of earrings with beehive charms from Michelle McCarthy of Firefly Design Studio.  Since yellow isn't always the best seller for me (sad face) I decided to pair the ceramics with some lightweight polymer clay discs with honey yellow, bronze, and turquoise from Heather Powers of Humblebeads.  I topped things off with an extra pop of blue from a little Czech glass bead.


Next, I decided to put together a little bracelet rich in art beady goodness.  I took a set of coin beads from Humblebeads and just added a few extra beads to the mix.  As much as I love the colors and textures in this set, I've been at a loss as how to best use them.  I ended up getting inspired by an old bracelet design that Heather shared ages ago... it was the perfect way to get these cuties out of my stash and into the world!


I knew that I wanted to make at least one buzzy bee necklace.  The obvious place to start was with one of the lovely hand painted wood pendants from Summer Wind Art.  I had picked out some Czech glass flower beads to go with one of them a while back, but hadn't circled back to the design until now.  Since I'm kind of guilty of going monochromatic sometimes, I really wanted to push beyond the blues for this one.  I chose some lovely faceted citrine rondelles to break things up and echo the golden yellow from the bee's body and the center of the flower.


Since I had my box of yellow beads out already for the citrines in the last design, it only made sense to whip up one more necklace that used mostly beads from that same box!  (I'm not the only one who logics my creative flow this way, am I??)  Anyway, I wanted to give the the cute little bee and honeycomb pendant from Humblebeads a little more physical and visual heft and a little Yellow Jade nugget was just the thing!  I made bead links with Czech glass in both an ivory Mercury glass finish and yellow/amber, faceted golden blood quartz, and some fun copper hexagons from Allegory Gallery.


Here's a closer look at the front and the back of the pendant.  It would be just as pretty worn backwards!


This is a blog hop.  Please check out what the other participants were inspired to make!

AE team:
Guests:
Sarajo (you are here)

10 comments:

  1. You have a great collection of bee components and made some fun pieces. Your last bee necklace is my favorite. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your color palettes are just so fantastic Sarajo! I love how you incorporate so many artist made pieces into your work. Just all around inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you made so many things! What a bee collection! I love all the things you made, but my fave is the bracelet - I love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, girl! You have the mega-stash of bee components!!!! Wow! I think i would have been befuddled as to where to begin. Yes, yellow is a TOUGH color. I often open my drawer of yellow beads, poke around, and then close the drawer back without taking anything from it. Ha!! However, you did awesome with your yellowy bits. I love the pairing of the blue. But that last necklace with the mostly yellow beads is really lovely. I think the yellows in my stash are far too bright. Yeah...that's the problem. I think my favorite thing in this batch is that bracelet though. You packed so many beauties into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarajo, For once, I don't have a fave piece because I love all of them! You have a great eye for matching the different beads, textures and colors. Alysen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll say! You put your stash to good use, so many bees and you gave each of them their perfect "home"! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great collection of bee components to choose from. I love all your jewelry pieces but the last necklace really speaks to me. I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stash of bee beady things is impressive. You clearly have a good eye for artisan-made lovelies, and it would seem, you really like bees! While you were blessed with gorgeous beginnings, your artistry and talent took over and created a stunning collection of jewelry. I would find it very hard to not continuously stare at the pendant on the first necklace if I were wearing it! You complimented it perfectly, as you also did with the other focals. Everything you made is masterly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful jewelry designs. I know what you mean about yellow not being a big seller. I hesitated to feature it so prominently in my designs but hoped there's someone out there who isn't afraid to wear yellow. Your designs are the perfect settings for the art beads from your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK - so many things to say! Where to start?> ( Sip of coffee...) Your stash is impressive as hell,.
    I am completely in love with the necklace palette. And coveting your Czech stash apparently. There are Picassos in there, the flowers! Yes to all! I think the HB octagon pendant paired with the chunky faceted yellow jade is brilliant. The bead chunkiness echoes the octagon to a T!

    Thanks for joining us! See you in the Art Elements Community on FB!

    ReplyDelete