Thursday, August 22, 2019

Inspired by Reading: What Alice Forgot

Wow.  It's been a looooong time since I actually made something for the Inspired by Reading Book Club!  Yikes!  I've mostly been keeping up on the reading but have lacked the time (and, honestly, sometimes the inspiration) to get something created.  Well, this month I'm back!  For August, we read What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.


This is the second book I've read by Liane Moriarty and I liked this one so much better than Big Little Lies.  The basic premise is that the main character, Alice, has come to after a head injury sustained at the gym and has completely lost all memories from the past 10 years.  She thinks she's 29 and pregnant with her first child when in fact she's about to turn 40, the mother of three children, and is in the middle of a contentious divorce.  It's fascinating to follow Alice as she slowly starts to unravel the mystery that is her present day life.  How bizarre to not remember how you got to be the person you are, and living the life that you are! 

It really made think.  How much would my 35 year old self recognize of my 45 year old life?  For sure I would be surprised that I'd quit my job as a librarian to make jewelry and more of the household.  I had barely started making jewelry 10 years ago and hadn't dreamed of selling anything!  I thought about all the friends that I hadn't met yet then... and the people who have passed away in that time that I wouldn't know about.  Crazy!  Another big shocker is that I now cook (some) and do all the grocery shopping.  I'd also probably be a little dismayed that I weigh a bit more now than I did then, LOL!

It might not be the most imaginative but I went for a piece inspired by the book's cover.  The cover designer was likely thinking of idea of your memories being blown out of you head just like so many dandelion seeds... at least that's my interpretation!  I knew that I had a lovely dandelion pendant from Summer Wind Art tucked away from a recent order.  (Seriously, if you don't know her stuff, check out her Etsy shop.  She does amazing wood burned pieces that she hand paints.)  The colors in the pendant even matched the book cover!  How perfect is that?!  Here's a close up of the necklace and the pretty pendant.


I've really been feeling the stringing lately... does anyone else seem to go through phases like that?  I immediately grabbed a handful of blue Czech glass rondelles that were a great match for the pendant, knowing that they would be the backbone of my design.  I added in some dark wood saucers and small brass beads to pull out the dark, burned lines of the pendants design and some ivory Czech glass melons with brown in the creases.  The final addition to my design were some lovely Terra Agate barrels that I got from Dakota Stones at our local bead show.  I think they bring things together nicely!


I was originally thinking that I'd make this a fairly long necklace with brass chain at the back.  Once I finished the stringing portion, I totally changed my mind and it's a shorter length (about 20 inches) with a lobster claw clasp at the back.

Thanks for stopping by to see what I've been up to.  Hopefully I'm now back on track with creating for Book Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment