Saturday, December 29, 2018

Art Elements Theme of the Month: White


For the December Theme of the Month over on the Art Elements blog Claire Fabian chose "White" to inspire us.  She shared some truly lovely inspiration photos over on the blog HERE that I encourage you to check out.  I honestly have less white beads in my stash than probably any other color making me initially thing that this might be a BIG challenge for me.  (And, yes, rules lawyers, I know that white is technically not a color, but explaining that makes my head pound.) 

Not surprisingly, since I live in MinneSnowta, I chose to focus my creative energies on the idea of snow flakes this month.  It also doesn't hurt that tis the season for selling snowy creations!  :)  I happened to already have a pair of copper clay charms by Kristi Bowman sitting on the corner of my bead mat waiting for attention when this month's theme was announced... serendipity!!  I made little links with copper wire that I had antiqued and lovely matte star cut crystal quartz and some plated hematite for a little flash.  I love how this pair turned out and it's going to be difficult to part with them!


As I mentioned in my recent post for We're All Ears, I've been doing tons of saltwater Christmas ornaments and playing with the leftovers.  Some of them had snowflakes on them... perfect for the white/snow theme I was already working on.  The snowflake is the star of this tiered necklace which mixes the etched copper circles, brass chain and findings, and a small Swarovski crystal bicone.


I made a few different pairs of etched copper earrings featuring snowflakes as well.  I kind of felt like I just couldn't stop myself! 



Not a new creation, but on the same day that I saw the theme announcement, I was also reminded by Facebook of a post from back in 2014 when Erin Prias-Hintz was doing her 30 Word Thurdsays.  The picture I took of snowy drifts totally fit the theme so I thought I'd go ahead and share it with you all!




Snow blown into drifts.  
In the light of setting sun, 
I squint my eyes and can almost believe that 
I’m standing amidst dunes of sand.  
Dreaming of warmer days ahead.


Guest Artists
Sarajo  -  You Are Here
Art Elements Team

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous jewelry SaraJo! Great snowflake inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow that photo is amazing!! I love your snowflake earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely snowflakes all around! Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, when you're on a roll, gotta go with it. Each pair of earrings is interesting in its own right, tho the same humble beginnings :). Alysen

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful jewellery, I love that snow picture, it;s bleak but very calming too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a little giggle as I've never heard it referred to as MinneSnowta. Ha. I'm loving all the copper designs coming from you. They're fantastic!! And, not having many white beads is foreign to me, my white drawer is overflowing! Admittedly, most of them are salvaged glass pearls. I'm digging the white beads you do have though. The ones in the first pair of earrings are particularly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the warmth of the copper in your designs. They're all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - love those snowflake charms! Love the last picture and your 30 words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the etched copper. The snowflake design is gorgeous and I love how you domed the pieces. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interpretation of the theme and lovely jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MinneSnowta is perfect for your state. You just got a foot of it. Snowflakes are definitely available for inspiration. The etched copper snowflake designs are wonderful. You did a great job doming your metal. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love love your etched copper work. It is yummy! The jewelry is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your interpretation of the theme, that's some seriously beautiful snowflake-inspired jewelry you've made there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these etchings and yes - keep imagining warm sand and lapping waves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh loving those snowflakes lovely jewellery....Great combination of copper with the snowflakes 😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. MinneSnowta. HAHAHAHA
    Love your etching. Great use of the scraps. You are a creative tour-de-force! Thanks for joining us Sarajo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all of the jewelry you created! The saltwater etching created such beautiful charms and effects. Especially with the hints of patina everywhere! The pieces all look so lovely and have an organic, earthy tone (which I am always drawn to!)! Thank you so much for participating in the december theme challenge at Art Elements and the first one I hosted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Technically, your earrings are white - partially :) I love that take: snow-white, snow-flakes, snow-drops and the designs are very artful!

    ReplyDelete