Thursday, June 29, 2017

Insects! Art Elements June Challenge

The editors over at the Art Elements blog occasionally host themed challenges (as opposed to their fabulous Component of the Month challenges where participants get an art bead to play with).  The theme for June's challenge is Insects!

Cecropia Moth. Photo by Ashley Fly

I love how open ended this challenge is since the only rules are that you use art beads that relate to the theme.  I've got lots of good bug beads in my stash to choose from... bees, moths, butterflies, fireflies, ladybugs.  Oh my!  What to choose?  I decided to set the bees aside at least since that ties into this month's Inspired by Reading Book Club selection.  (If you're interested you can see those designs HERE.)

While working on a design for last month's book club, I ended up with a stringing pattern using labradorite and Czech glass that I liked but didn't work for the project I had in mind.  Instead of scrapping it, I decided to pair a sweet little firefly pendant from Green Girl.  Voila!   


Next up, another new necklace!  This one started with a small blue dragonfly pendant from Earthenwood Studio that I got in a mixed lot of beads from one of Andrew Thornton's destash events.  I guess I've just been in a stringing mood because I didn't even consider doing anything different for this one.  I had just gotten the perfect blue Czech glass rondelles at Bead & Button from Nirvana Beads that became the main component of my design.  I added in some darker blue Czech glass beads in a variety of shapes including a set of flowers with some brass accents in the mix.  


Last but not least, I also made a little pair of earrings for the challenge!  I made good use of some of new goodies from Bead & Button... an adorable pair of butterfly charms from Michelle McCarthy of Firefly Design Studio matched up with some wonderful disc beads by Heather Powers of Humblebeads.  Simple and sweet to finish things off!


This is a blog hop... stop by and see what all the participants came up with!

Guests
Sarajo Wentling - YOU ARE HERE

Art Elements Team

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful work!! I love them all but I think my absolute favorite is the labradorite with that sweet little firefly charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I haven't strung any designs in a long time. Your pieces are making me want to give it another go. Awesome job and thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes stringing is just what a design cries out for... I feel like I go through phases. Clearly I was feeling a little symmetrical when I made these!

      Delete
  3. Very nice Sarajo! I like stringing sometimes as well - I'm more of a simple jewelry kind of person myself - they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All lovely designs but that first one I really love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sarajo, These are all lovely odes to our insect friends, but the first one really caught my eye. Love the subtle glow of the beads...a perfect compliment to the shiny little firefly pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All gorgeous designs, but that first one is a stunner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all lovely, but I especially love the way you played with the bead shapes in the firefly necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it great when you have a happy accident like with the first necklace. All lovely pieces but that first necklace is my favourite
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for playing along with us! I love that GGS firefly and will need to seek out one for my own collection. Beautiful work, thank you for being inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a prolific month! I too, love the GG firefly. I too will seek it out. LOL. Sometimes stringing really is the answer - I love both necklaces - and their texture and size/scale variety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blue bead necklace. It makes me want to snatch it up and wear it immediately

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way you've used limited colour palettes on each lovely piece - very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that blue piece it is like Blue Delft :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great creations. I especially love the Green Girl firefly necklace. It really stuck in my mind! I was surprised how far back I had to go to see it again. It seems like I had just seen it, but I guess I just kept thinking about it! :)

    ReplyDelete