Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Interpreter of Maladies: Inspired by Reading Book Club

This month's Inspired by Reading Book Club selection is Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri.  This slim volume is a collection of nine short stories that all center around India or Indian-Americans.  Each story plots an emotional journey that run the gamut from love, loss, despair, and belonging.  Many of the stories spoke to me strongly of the impact that our contact and connections with other people can have on our lives... even when that contact is brief.


I took this little book with a big emotional impact on our trip to the Netherlands and Belgium... not exactly fluffy vacation reading.  I just got back Sunday night so I didn't have a ton of time to get something made and photographed!

One thing that stood out for me in most (if not all) of the stories was that there was some connection to either making, missing, or needing a home.  The home in question could be the physical dwelling place or an emotional safe haven or relationship.  Once this thread became apparent to me I immediately had the kernel of an idea.

One of the items in my gift bag of beady goodness from the Bead Cruise I went on last month was an adorable little house from Humblebeads (thanks Heather!) that was paired with some gorgeous rich purple sari silk.  (You can see my post on the cruise HERE if you missed it!)  I'm still new to, and a little hesitant about, using fibers in my designs but this seemed like the perfect opportunity to give it a go.  


I struggled with how and where I wanted to use the silk (and if I wanted to add in a pop of another color), but I finally pulled together something that I'm reasonably happy with for now.  The chain portion looks like a separate necklace when worn, and I'm still not sure if I like that part or not.  I'd love to hear your thoughts!


Please check out what everyone else made.  Lots of great stuff as always!

Jenny Davies-Reazor
Sarajo Wentling 
(that's me!)
Jeanne Steck
Mary Harding
Karin Grange
Ann Schroeder
Mary K McGraw
Rachel Stewart
Christine Damm
Andrew Thornton, Laurel Ross, Alison Herrington, Terri Greenawalt, and Karen Hiatt


And in totally unrelated India news, I ended up watching The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on my flight home and loved it!  What a great cast.  If you missed this one (like I did), I suggest you watch it if you get the chance.

19 comments:

  1. Loved your post about the book and how you interpreted what you read. Great colors! I, too, loved The Best Exotic movie. Much more "feel good" than the short stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love those colors too. And I agree, the movie was so much more uplifting than the book but I did enjoy both in different ways.

      Delete
  2. You chose beautiful colors and symbols to illustrate the short stories. I felt exactly what you described while reading them, and what is funny, is that I watched the same movie when I flew back from New York to Paris! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. And that is funny that we both watched the same movie on flights recently. I'm trying to talk my mom into watching it... I think she'd really enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. LOVE the necklace! The little floral house is great in this, reminds me of the flower markets in Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. That movie captured city life in India so well, and I thought of it frequently when I read the stories. The movie is based on the novel of the same name. I like the double necklace effect, especially the way the purple stones tie the two together. The tiny key is a great link to your longing for home theme. Great job!

    Terri Greenawalt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I was so happy to use my gifties from Heather. I may have to check out the book for Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sometime but I'll give it a little distance. Thanks for weighing in on the double necklace effect too.... seems to be going over fairly well.

      Delete
  4. The floral house is so perfect for the sari ribbon. And I liked how yoyo used the analogy of home to tie the stories together. I also really like the movie he Best Exotic Marigold Hotel .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the house and the ribbon going so well together... that was all Heather Powers! Home just stuck out to me in all it's various meanings/contexts so I was thrilled to have the house and ribbon in my stash just waiting for me. :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely lovely necklace. I think the two go well together. Like a layered look. I especially like how you linked the chain to the sari silk. Gorgeous colors. I felt similarly to you when I read the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I'm pretty pleased with my wire wrapping of the sari silk. It's not perfect but went so much more smoothly than the last time I tried working with ribbon! Practice will make it even easier in the future I bet.

      Delete
  6. I love your necklace! It is a great combination of textures and I love that color. I think you captured the sentiment of home quite well too with the house and key.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rachel! I'm still getting used to using fibers in my designs... I love the idea of it but then I get freaked out! I'm glad I went with my gut on this one.

      Delete
  7. I think your necklace is beautiful. I love the color, and great use of fiber. I also do like the two strands and that one looks like a separate necklace when worn. Good for people like me who want the layered look, but could never actually get it together with two separate necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I rarely think to layer necklaces, so it's funny that I went for that look. I have two sets that I sometimes wear two necklaces together, but it's rare. I'm more of a throw on earrings and go girl really. Thanks for your kind comments and for weighing in on the two necklace look!

      Delete
  8. Popped over here from Lima to see what the backstory was and wasn't sure I should continue reading. I just received the book and haven't read it yet but thankfully, no spoilers here.
    Beautiful necklace! Love the colors and the ribbon is a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Gail! I'm a librarian and try not to have spoilers (unless I warn you!). I hope you enjoy the read. Maybe you can play along with us sometime! I just checked out the book for this month and will start reading that as soon as I finish my current book.

      Delete
  9. I agree that "home" is a thread that ties the stories together. How serendipitous that you received the house pendant from Heather! I love your additions including the chain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful, bright, vibrant piece! I love the house charm and how it relates to the stories. I also agree that the idea of home plays a big part of all the stories, usually the loss of the concept of home... in some cases, more literally than others. Thanks so much for participating again! I'm glad that you got to play along with your big trip! Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the 2 layered idea. and I have no problem that they look like 2 pieces. Sadly I didn't reread all the stories, but I nod when I read your words re: the concept of home. Yes.

    Lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete