Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Radio Silence - Fringe Edition

So, I've been pretty quiet on the blog front lately so I thought I'd do a little update on what I've been up to.  The last twelve days or so have been pretty much consumed with attending the Minnesota Fringe Festival.  So what is Fringe, you say?  It's an eleven day performing arts festival that takes place every year at the beginning of August.  It's unjuried so shows get chosen by blind lottery.  You can see everything from drama, to comedy plays, to stand-up comedy, to dance, to shows that leave you wondering, WTF?  

Stage at the Southern Theater. Photo credit: Eric Wentling
For the last few years Eric and I have bought Ultra Passes for the Fringe and have seen as many shows as we could manage.  Our all time high has been 42, but we logged a very respectable 40 this year... not too shabby!  All the shows are an hour or less, so don't be too impressed.

We saw some amazing, creative, moving, and funny shows this year.  And out of our 40 shows, there were only 4 that we really didn't enjoy. Twin Cities folks, if you enjoy watching live theatre or dance and are willing to try something new, I highly recommend that you try out the Fringe Festival next year.  Hit me up for recommendations if you want... I'm always good for an opinion!

This year we had a special treat... my niece Anna came to visit us for a couple of days and was willing to go see lots of shows with us while she was here.  We took her to 11 shows over two days!

Hanging out with my niece Anna!

Having a guest also led me to go someplace that I'm ashamed to say I'd never visited before in my 13 years in the Twin Cities... Minnehaha Falls.

Minnehaha Falls

Heading out after our last show of the Fringe.  See you next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment